Friday, October 28, 2005

post the fifteenth

I notice this about not only my own blog, but just blogs in general. When one writes on a blog, one feels a certain need to be philosophical. Well, perhaps not philosophical, but certainly different than you might otherwise expect. Some people, I notice, go out of their way to be philosophical and show you how much they know and how smart they are. I suspect I'm one of those types. I feel like if you're going to read my blog, you may as well get your time's worth out of it. There's no point in my writing something goofy and funny, because you could just as easily get that out of talking to me for fifteen seconds or so. I guess I just want what I write to be worthwhile.

Others write to let out feelings they don't normally express. Some of the happiest, cheeriest people I know have some of the most depressing blogs I've read. It's like a totally different person writes them. It always surprises me.

I don't mean this as a criticism in any way. I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else is. I think my blog comes off as sounding different than I do in other fora, and still different from how I sound if you were to talk to me in person. It's probably just the nature of how I write, really. I just wonder why we, as people, do this. I don't have any thoughts or ideas on it, but rather it's just been something that's been on my mind. Take that for what you will.

- Optimistic.

5 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Boy Howdy. I'm probably the most guilty of the 2nd paragraph. Ha Ha.

Thirdmango said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Redoubt said...

I do both. Recently I've done a lot less of the emotional thing, because I've found that clever/philosophical/entertaining/whatever blog entries draw more comments, and comments make me feel like I'm as huge of a loser.

Anonymous said...

First, I am not a blogger as such. I write, but I have not blogged yet. Well... not technically, anyhow. But I find that the written me is the same me as the talking me- but only if you really know me. My writings are just as sad as I feel, just as philosophical as I think, just as funny (or not)as I really am. But it is a part of me that you must know really well to see. Heck, sometimes I even suprise myself with things I write; they were there, I just never looked at them properly before.

Iris said...

I just started a bolg (oh boy...joining the crowd), but I hope I don't turn out negative on it. Thanks for the observation--it has given me a good warning.