Wednesday, October 12, 2005

post the sixth

I've been thinking...and this time it hasn't developed into a rant about some aspect of society I don't agree with. Rather, I've been thinking about some aspect of myself that I don't approve of and just want to fix. I've come to the conclusion that I spend entirely too much time on the Internet. Between the 100 Hour Board, Blue Beta, and this (although I spend far less time here than the other two), I'm almost always at a computer, checking for something new. It's just getting out of hand, and it's time someone did something about it...or, rather, time I did something about it, since it only really affects me.

I think I'm going to start reading more books. I always tell myself that I'm too busy to do so, but in reality, it's probably just due to poor time management skills. How can you have time to read a book if you're on the Internet for a total of five hours in a day and spend the rest of your time either in class or watching SportsCenter? I could probably squeeze everything I want to in there if I just did things in the right order.

Then again, maybe I should spend more time studying. I bet if I spent my Internet time on my homework, I'd have rockin' grades. I just had a test today on Germany between 1871 and 1914. My teacher gave us eight documents to analyze so we could come to class prepared to answer a question using them. I read them all, but probably could have done a lot better on the essay had I taken the time to study and synthesize them rather than just read them. You all know how it is, I'm sure.

Now I just have to find a good book to start reading...and Book the Twelfth doesn't come out until Tuesday...sigh. Maybe I'll get back to my giant Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives book that I never finished this summer.

- Optimistic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spend a lot of time on the internet as well, and I'm only on Blue Beta and on Blogger. I'm not even a Board writer...well...I did just request an application so we'll see what happens.

Thirdmango said...

Just put your internet time, only at specific times. I only check the internet after midnight and every once in a while around 3:30 pm on weekdays. Just make yourself not check all the time. It makes things a lot easier, once I taught myself to only check my email once a day, I was ahppier casue then I didn't have moments where I'd be like, "Man! I haven't gotten an email in a couple hours! I'm a loser!"

Anonymous said...

Haha...I'm SO bad with the e-mail thing. It's often quicker to get in touch with me through e-mail than my cell phone.

Krista said...

No, with email, all you need is Gmail, and then the notifier. That way, you don't have to spend time checking- you already if anyone loves you or no. Currently, no one loves me, for instance. But I'm about to go send out some emails, and then people might respond after that.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, true true. I just haven't downloaded the notifier yet.