Tuesday, March 10, 2009

(untitled 299)

I'm subbing for a friend today, so I'm teaching a special education class. Essentially, these are just regular kids who need a little extra help outside for whatever reason (trouble reading, doing math, etc.), so it's a mix of several different grades. The sixth graders were helping the fourth graders with grammar and punctuation. One of the students really REALLY wanted to write the sentences on the board, but I told him I was going to do it, since I'm the friggin' teacher. He responded by bursting into tears and running to the bathroom. (Surprise! He's in special education because he has a hard time controlling his emotions. He's very sensitive.) He eventually came back in, but when I accidentally erased the sentences before he had a chance to write them down, he ran back out of the room sobbing again.

The whole experience was aptly summed up by one of the fourth graders, who simply said, "I feel awkward."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

leave it to kids to put into words exactly what everyone else feels.