Wednesday, April 05, 2006

post the sixty-second

I woke up this morning to find that high winds outside had caused the power in my apartment to go out. I was absolutely blown away (ha!) to learn just how much I depend on electricity to carry on my desired lifestyle. I quickly found that I wouldn't be able to use my computer (it has a battery life of approximately eighteen seconds). So much for playing on the Internet. Watching the Colbert Report would also be out of the question. Televisions don't operate well in the absence of electricity. Taking a shower proved to be more difficult than I'd thought. Getting hot water wasn't a problem - getting light in the shower was. I ended up just taking my shower with the door open and prayed that no one would walk in on me. (No one did.) I figured that there would be little else for me to do in my apartment in the morning and beat a hasty retreat up to campus where I could be productive.

Or at least so I told myself.

I've been sitting here in the library for the last hour and have accomplished next to nothing. I looked at some pictures of WWII advertising in a vain attempt to find some sort of pattern in the images of soldiers. I contend that the image of the American soldier during the war helped to create a national identity. We'll see if I turn out to be right. I've also read a slew of blogs and answered some questions on the 100 Hour Board. I just haven't really done much that's terribly worthwhile.

Think I'll go eat a sandwich somewhere and read about Nikita Khrushchev. I'm more excited about this book than you might think.

2 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Heh Heh, I'm currently writing up a post about the power outage in my blog. Heh heh. What a morning!

erin said...

Hey, answering questions on the Board is worthwhile...