Monday, December 03, 2007

(untitled 202)

I taught a killer lesson today in my English class. Teaching English has been really difficult, since it's nowhere near my area of expertise. I know a little bit about the books in question (The Scarlet Letter and The Chosen, for eleventh and tenth grades, respectively), but that's as far as my formal training has gone. I really don't know much beyond the plot. I don't know which symbols to develop or what quotes to build on. That said, I talked about the latent hypocrisy in the society in The Scarlet Letter and compared it to high school. The kids spent the first hour of class talking about what horrible people the characters in the book were, but when I pointed out that it's actually not all that different than their own society, everyone got really quiet. The looks on their faces told me that they understood what point I was driving at. I doubt it's anything that they're going to keep with them long-term (I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are currently being judgmental in passing period), but at the very least, they know that I have some relevant points to make, and that I'm worth listening to. I love knowing that I've made a difference, if only a small one. This is why I got into teaching in the first place.

Two little things that probably aren't worth a post of their own now. I'm also pleased with my outfit choice today. It's not especially snazzy or anything, but I really feel like a teacher wearing this. All I need is a nametag of my own and I'd be set. That, and when I got into my car this morning, the odometer read 66666. It's the little things, you know?

5 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

That's a really cool connection. Sounds like you're doing a great job with the English class. (Seriously, any teacher who can explain what their subject has to do with Real Life wins.)

Unknown said...

as a current english geek and a future teacher of the subject, i salute you.

LJ said...

That would be the only point I would ever want to make to a high school class: pull your heads out and look around. I didn't and I regret it.

Anonymous said...

you teach English and Japanese? Pretty cool. Since when do teachers wear nametags though? Do you mean on your desk or something?

Jenn said...

It's been a while since we've heard from you so regularly here. It's good to have you back. Congrats on feeling that incredible teaching high! Sounds like you're doing something right. :)