Thursday, May 18, 2006

post the seventy-third

That's what you get for trusting others, I suppose. Rest assured that I'm always going to sign out whenever I use any program on Petra's computer. You can [sic] trust anyone these days. Honestly.

So it's definitely summer here where I am. The weather is warming up a lot. I find that I have less and less motivation to leave my air-conditioned apartment. When I do, I find that I'm hurrying as quickly as I can to another air-conditioned building. There's really no reason to be anywhere that isn't air-conditioned, if you ask me.

I actually wasn't planning on blogging about this, but I think I'm going to go with this, now. I live in a very materialistically spoiled society. I don't even recognize it most of the time. I'm able to get most anything I want whenever I want it. That excludes a job, mind you, as I only just found one yesterday after weeks of searching, but the more I think about it, if finding a summer job is the worst of my problems, I definitely lead a comfortable life. It's really quite amazing. I have more than enough to eat. I have part of a cake left over from my movie night last night (thank you, SkyBluePink). My air-conditioning works wonderfully. I have clean water to drink and to bathe in. I have more than enough clothes. I have electricity to power all of my toys and entertainment devices. I have my very own computer. Life is really good. I forget just how good it is, sometimes. I get really caught up in the little things that go wrong in my life and manage to forget just how many blessings I really have. I'm one of the privileged rich, as compared to most of the rest of the world. That's easy to forget, and I think it's something that we as Americans do a lot. Why think about how terrible things are in other countries? It's just depressing. Better to ignore and and hope that it takes care of itself.

I don't mean to imply that you, the readers of this blog, are terrible people for not doing more to change the great inequality in this world. I'm certainly no better. I don't go out of my way to change the world. I'm more than happy to sit here in my ivory tower and enjoy my tomato soup. It's just that every once in a while (and probably less often than I need to) I stop and reflect on how wonderful my life really is. I invite the rest of you to do the same. It'll be good for you.

Wow. I really wasn't planning on writing about that. How weird. Apparently that had been on my mind lately.

2 comments:

Lavish said...

So, it's ninety degrees outside... and you're in your air conditioned apartment... eating soup. Hm.

Sorry. I got the whole point of the post too. You're lucky to have that air conditioning and soup. :)

alishka babushka said...

its so true. we are so priveleged, and yet we complain when something we have had (i.e. maybe a car or that air conditioning) goes away and we don't have it anymore...poor us.